Please accept this friendly reminder to return your registration paperwork to the school as soon as possible for the 2018-19 school year. Having accurate counts is very helpful in the planning and scheduling process. Your early commitment helps us design a program that meets student needs and has increased course offerings. As we move forward, please keep the following in mind:
1. NYS Testing. Great job to our students who worked so hard on their assessments last week – we are very proud of all that you do each day throughout our school building! Please remember the Grades 3-8 Mathematics exams will be May 1st and 2nd. We respect each family’s right to decide if students will or will not participate in these exams. Participation in these exams does not impact your child’s grade, but does provide a meaningful data point (along with other data sources) to inform instructional decisions and improve our overall school programs. If you would not like your child to participate in math exams, and have not already let us know, please submit a signed letter to the school office by Tuesday, May 1 stating your wishes.
2. Healing Fields Event. There is a story of love, honor, and respect surrounding each flag that will fly this Memorial Day at Hoopes Park in Auburn. Flags are purchased in honor or memory of a friend, veteran, or loved one. They are publicly flown for the Memorial Day weekend at Hoopes Park and then collected and brought home by each supporting community member to post in their own yards as a continued sign of patriotism.
An opening ceremonies kicks off the week on Friday, May 25th at 7pm at the park. It will feature patriotic music, song, and poems from local children as well as inspiration from community members and supporters. It is free and open to the public to enjoy.
This is a beautiful and unifying community event. We encourage anyone in the community to participate in supporting in whatever way they are able. Flags can be purchased at the school or online at www.healingfield.org/auburn18/. Donations can be made to support the event and volunteers are needed. If you are able and willing to volunteer in any capacity, please contact the school (315-253-8327) or signup on the signin sheet at www.SignUpGenius.com/go/60B0B45AAA72FA3FA7-healing The next planning meeting is Monday, May 30 at 6:30 pm if you would like to attend. Thank you for your support!
3. Reading Spirit Week. We will celebrate a spirit week for reading this week, April 16-20. Please refer to the schedule of theme days that went home last week for daily themes.
4. Youth Group Forming. Our faith formation program is pleased to offer a Middle School Youth Group for students in grades 6, 7, and 8. The meetings will begin this month, April 17 and April 24 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm at the St. Alphonsus Parish Center (the school gym area). All eligible students are invited to attend!
5. LSAC Meeting. There will be an LSAC Meeting this Tuesday, April 17, at 6:30 pm in the school library. All are welcome to attend.
6. Regional Band Concert. Our band students will be performing in a combined spring concert this Wednesday, April 18th, at St. Francis-St. Stephen school in Geneva.
7. Talent Show. Under the direction of Mrs. Bellamy, our students will be performing in a talent show this Thursday, April 20th, at Sacred Heart Church. The proceeds of this event help support the school musical. We are also seeking ad sponsors for the musical program. If you are interested in placing an ad, please see the attached information from Mrs. Bellamy. Thank you!
8. Upcoming Events. Please save the date for these upcoming events:
–April 20 – 6th Grade Medieval Fair, St. Mary School
–April 23 to 27 – No School, Spring Break
–April 30 – Healing Fields Planning Meeting, 6:30 pm
–May 1 and 2 – NYS Math Testing
Thank you and enjoy the rest of your weekend,
St. Joseph School, Auburn