Welcome to Mrs. Duffy’s 4th grade Web Page!!
Upcoming Dates for the Week of March 18th, 2019
* Tuesday, March 19th is a Dress Out in red for St. Joseph Day!
* St. Joseph Prayer Service Tuesday, 3/19 at Church and a Lenten Prayer Service, Monday, 3/25. Please join us if you can.
* March is National Reading Month and packets went home Friday for students to begin reading. In grades 3-5, we expect 20 min. of reading a day for 5 days. A total of 300 min. after three weeks and the Reading Rewards will be the week of April 8th. Students should be reading each night anyway as it broadens their skills and vocabulary. Very important!!
* Wednesday, March 20th is our field trip to the Landmark Theater. Please have your child bring a bag lunch to school as we will eat in our classroom as soon as we return around 12:15.
* NYS ELA Assessments are coming: Tuesday & Wednesday, April 2nd and 3rd. More info to come.
* Please note I update my webpage weekly with what we are learning and any upcoming tests and quizzes.
Religion: We will begin Lesson 8: Rules, Rules, Rules and possibly get to Lesson 9. There will be a religion quiz that is open book/notebook on Friday, March 22.
ELA: We are finishing up our Poetry unit this week looking at more poems and discussing author’s purpose and the theme and reviewing similes and metaphors. There will be a vocabulary/comprehension quiz Thursday, 3/21. Next week we will be working on NYS Test practice.
Math: We are continuing to work on Chapter 7: Geometry. We are working on lines, segments, rays and parallel and perpendicular lines. Please have your child practice this vocabulary as they need to draw and identify these shapes. We will also be working on Measuring, Identifying and Drawing angles using a protractor. There will be a short quiz on Types of Lines Tuesday, 3/19. Please have your child practice IXL at home for about 15 minutes per night to reinforce the skills we are learning in class.
Social Studies: We are going to begin Chapter 7: New Yorkers Move Westward this week, looking at pioneers and move into Western NY and the U.S., the Big Tree Treaty with the Senecas and the War of 1812.
Science: We are continuing Chapter 7: Weather & Climate this week. We are going to be working on reading weather maps, what they show and types of severe weather. We are also going to try and squeeze in some health lessons on reading nutrition labels.
Monday: Art and Music
Wednesday: Technology and Music
4th Grade School Supply List
1 subject spiral notebooks with different colored covers: 1 each for ELA (blue), Science (green), Social Studies (red), Religion (purple)
1 marbled composition notebook (ELA Journal)
2 folders (1 labeled take home, the other labeled work in progress)
1-2 highlighters (any colors)
1 crayon box (nothing too large as it won’t fit in lockers or desks)
1 box of crayons
1 pkg of colored pencils
1 pencil sharpener (for colored pencils)
many #2 pencils
1 paperback English dictionary (preferably Webster’s and make sure the print size is readable)
ruler (must have both inches and centimeters)
2-3 glue sticks
3 boxes of Kleenex
3 extra large book covers (ELA, Social Studies, Science)
1 pair of headphones (used for I-ready assessments)
** Because students use small lockers, no rolling backpacks or large trapper keepers please!
** Be sure your child has a pair of sneakers to change into for gym classes!